Monday, August 10, 2009

Flickr with Linux (Aug 10, 2009)

I am trying to upload a large number of photos onto my pro flickr account. I tried the following tools:
* Postr
* Fireuploader (firefox plugin)
* jUploader

Postr and Fireuploader appear buggy and have a somewhat unintuitive interface. I struggled with them a lot. Finally I read somewhere on the net about jUploader.

I downloaded jUploader (not present in Synaptic Package Manager on my ubuntu). After authentication, the first problem I faced is that it does not recognize "JPG" (uppercase) extension. So I had to change all my filenames to lowercase using

rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' *

I also changed the default permission on upload from public to private from its menu. Then I just dragged and dropped my photos onto jUploader, selected all photos, added to photoset and clicked on upload. It worked just fine after this. Although not perfect, jUploader was close.

Note: I faced the problem of "I don't recognize this file format" because there was no privilege to read the image file as my current user.

I installed the flock browser, which also worked just fine (or should I say marvellously fine).

No comments: